Nuff Nang

Feb 23, 2009

Gjelina

Pronounced with the silent "G", Gjelina is my new favorite restaurant gem. I've only been twice and it has become a favorite of mine already, meaning many more visits to come. The vibe is very Venice chic; not the trendy LA crowd but more arsty and creative Abbot Kinney types. Or, just the people who enjoy downright fresh farmer's market ingredients that transform into rustic Mediterranean cuisine on your plate! I wish I would have taken more pictures from both times I went. The first time I visited, I didn't take any and just enjoyed the food. A few nights ago I went with a group of 6 (translation: the more people, the more food to order) and I knew I had to shoot the plates. In the middle of a flash, an employee came over and told me, "No pictures allowed of the food or of the restaurant." He probably thought I was checking out my competition or something... I should have told him the images were for my new food blog, oh well. We ordered well over 15 dishes, but I put my camera away after the friendly warning.

We started off with a cheese and charcuterie plate and then followed that with salads, small plates, pizzas and a few bigger entree dishes. I think the menu changes seasonally depending on the available ingredients. I can't decide which I like better; the slow braised pork belly (everyone has to try this!) or the truffle thin-crust pizza (everyone has to try this too). A close second is the caramelized onion pizza. Also, for dessert the blackberry crisp is delish for those who like berry and crumble combinations BUT there is also a flourless chocolate tart for chocoholics - I suggest you get both. We did :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Arugula w/ Blood Orange

Photobucket
Sardine Escabeche

Photobucket
Heirloom Spinach w/ Pinenuts

Photobucket
Charcuterie

Photobucket
Fromage

Photobucket
Caramelized Onion

Photobucket
Braised Pork Belly

Photobucket
Brussels Sprouts w/ Dates + Bacon

A little tip - Dialing in for reservations is recommended, and I would even suggest a few days in advance.

3 comments:

Love hearing feedback from fellow foodies, fashionistas, friends, fam - whoever! Thanks for stopping by and dropping a comment :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin